Recently been looking at “Laŭ”, a word I think I might have mentioned liking the sound of before (edit: indeed I have! Here). It means “According to/following/along”. I’ve been trying to find or think of uses in word building, because it has such a useful meaning, but is such a neat and tiny word.
So here are some that I’ve found:
- laŭleĝa = legitimate, legal (leĝ0 = law, leĝa = legal, so lit. “according to law”)
- laŭe = accordingly, according to that, conforming to that
- laŭvorte = verbatim, word-for-word (vorto = word, so lit. “according to words”)
- laŭiri = to go along (iri = to go)
- laŭnature = according to nature (naturo = nature, nature = naturally, so lit.”by naturally, along naturally”)
- laŭcela = adequate (cela = goal,aim,purpose, so lit. “according to purpose”)
- laŭplane = according to plan (plano = plan)
I love the sound of “laŭe”. I think I am indeed hooked on the “aŭe” sound.
I also feel like these words really neatly express the concepts identified. Sentences like:
- Mi laboras laŭplane = I am working according to plan